Continuing Education Credits (CECs)
As public knowledge increases and with the growing interest in self health care, fitness leaders are required to design more sophisticated fitness programs and answer more in-depth questions. The certification process ensures that the fitness leader has met the minimum standards to lead a
safe, fun, and effective exercise program.
To keep up with the industry standards and changes Fitness NB members are encouraged to attended any professional development opportunities (which can take the form of conferences, courses, lectures and/or seminars) to obtain CECs in order to maintain certification(s).
CEC update: FNB has listened to members regarding the need to streamline the CEC procedure. We have begun to update and revise the system to make it simple and straightforward for everyone. Preliminary information is contained in the membership renewal notices.
– CECs for everyone will due annually to align with the other renewal requirements.
– One hour = 1 CEC (FNB reserves the right to expand on that number for the annual summit)
– They will be valid for one year from the date of attainment.
– 6 CECs annually for FNB certified GF Leaders, course conductors and evaluators
– 8 CECs annually for FNB certified PF Trainers, course conductors and evaluators
Remember: FNB is community oriented. We support our leaders and trainers and want nothing but success for you.
If you are having difficulty attaining your CECs there are many options available at no cost to you but your time.
Just give us a call and we will help lead you where you need to be.
Earn FNB CECs and PDCs with Human Kinetics online courses:
CEC’s will be assessed according to the following criteria:
These seminars are designed to increase the understanding of facts, concepts, research and theories. The teaching format is one or a combination of lecture, group work, reading or other learning strategies intended for increasing knowledge. Movement may be a part of the learning process but only to illustrate, reinforce or analyze the new knowledge. Sample theory seminar topics include but are not limited to:
- exercise analysis
- safety tips
- injury prevention
- new research
- physiology of exercise
- weight management
These seminars are designed to increase the diversity of exercise design. Practical seminars must have some elements of theory and leadership to enhance the practical components. Sample practical seminar topics include but are not limited to:
- special populations (e.g. older adults, youth, people with physical disabilities)
- use of equipment/apparatus (e.g. strength training equipment, skinfold calipers)
- testing techniques
- specialty classes (e.g. step, stability ball)
These seminars are designed to increase the leader’s understanding of human behavior, either understanding a leader’s own behavior or others. Sample leadership seminar topics include but are not limited to:
- customer service
- climate setting
- group dynamics
- presentation skills
- behavior change
- management training
- leadership theories
- goal setting
- adult education
In order for a training seminar to qualify for Continuing Education Credits (CEC’s), trainers/facilitators must have:
- a Fitness NB Fitness Leader Certification or certification through either a Provincial or National fitness program based on the NFLA Performance Standards,
- a degree, diploma and/or current status within a provincial/national organization specifically qualifying them in their specialized area (e.g. Kinesiology, National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP), Physiotherapy, Adult Education Specialist, Medicine, etc.).