GROUP FITNESS LEADER PORTABLE EQUIPMENT SPECIALTY (PEFL)
All programs are open to FNB members.
FNB membership must be current to continue with any specialty courses and subsequent certification.
Pre-requisite: Exercise Theory
There are so many group fitness formats, like boot camp and circuit training gaining in popularity these days. This weekend course provides the knowledge and practical skills required to lead safe, effective and motivating group fitness classes incorporating a variety of portable equipment.
Course Content includes:
- Introduction to Group Exercise
- Evolution of Group Fitness
- Core Concepts in Class Design
- Music Fundamentals
- Warm up and Stretching Principles
- Cardiorespiratory Conditioning
- Customizing Group Exercise Classes
- Basic Safety considerations
- Functional Conditioning
- Muscular Conditioning
- Technique and Safety
- Music Considerations and Cueing
Course Materials: The required companion book “Methods of Group Exercise Instruction” Fourth Edition by Carol Kennedy-Armbruster and Mary M. Yoke is purchased on your own and available online through Human Kinetics or Amazon.
We are sorry, at this time there are no PEFL courses scheduled, if you have an interest please contact the office firstname.lastname@example.org
PEFL – Scope of Practice
Once certified, a PEFL is sanctioned by FNB to:
- Lead a safe, effective and appropriate floor-based land group* exercise class in order to meet the needs of the participants
- Lead exercise groups that are based on Fitness NB standards and NFLA guidelines.
- Incorporate the use of appropriate equipment** based on identified or implied needs of the participants.
- Use Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating, Canada’s Physical Activity Guide to Healthy Active Living, and the PAR-Q+.
- Lead participants that are apparently healthy.
*A group is defined as a leader facilitated exercise session with more than one person.
**May include, but not limited to the following: free weights, body bars/barbells, stability balls, tubing/resist-a-bands, BOSU, steps, medicine balls and foam rollers.
The certifications of Fitness NB are nationally recognized and transferable across Canada.
In some cases additional evaluations may apply.